Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
Tim Downey

Default Are pond snails trouble for a planted tank?

Hi,

I've been searching around and have been getting conflicting information.
I've got a few snails in my tank that I've identified as pond snails. So
far, the seem to be eating only algae, but they are laying a *LOT* of eggs.
I've been removing the eggs, but I'm sure that I must be missing some.

Are these guys going to overrun my tank and start eating the plants? At
first I thought that they were trumpet snails, but judging by the jelly like
eggs, they're pond snails. Different websites say that they are to be
avoided, and others say they'll stick to the algae. Any thoughts?

I've read that loaches will eat the snails, but my tank is a 30 gallon
community and I don't have any room to add loaches. Are there any small
peaceful fish that will eat snails?

Thanks in advance,
-tim