Old 20-04-2003, 07:11 AM
Michi Henning

Default Are pond snails trouble for a planted tank?

"Tim Downey" wrote in message
Hi,

I've been searching around and have been getting conflicting information.
I've got a few snails in my tank that I've identified as pond snails. So
far, the seem to be eating only algae, but they are laying a *LOT* of eggs.
I've been removing the eggs, but I'm sure that I must be missing some.

Are these guys going to overrun my tank and start eating the plants? At
first I thought that they were trumpet snails, but judging by the jelly like
eggs, they're pond snails. Different websites say that they are to be
avoided, and others say they'll stick to the algae. Any thoughts?

Chances are that in a few weeks, you will have hundreds of the damn
things -- they breed *really* fast. Fishing them out by hand is a good
way to keep the numbers down, but it's tedious. And you will never
manage to eradicate them (at least not in a planted tank) -- there are
always a few eggs and snails that you miss and, next thing you know,
there are 100 more of the little buggers.

I've read that loaches will eat the snails, but my tank is a 30 gallon
community and I don't have any room to add loaches. Are there any small
peaceful fish that will eat snails?

Loaches will eat them, in particular, Botia Macracanthus (Clown Loach)
is reputed to be a good snail eater. Only glitch: full size is 12"!

Another option is Botia Lohachata (Yo-Yo Loach). Doesn't get quite as
big, about 4". Some people report that this fish can be quarrelsome, both
among each other and with other species. (But I have seen community
tanks with Botia Lohachata, together with small peaceful fish, such as
Iriatherina Werneri, Cardinal Tetra, and rainbows, so keeping these in
a community tank is possible at least for some people.)

Another option (maybe better for your 30 gal tank) is Anomalochromis
Thomasi (African Butterfly Cichlid or Dward Jewel Fish). The males grow
to 3", the females are a bit smaller. Very good in a community tank and
peaceful.
Likes slightly acidic water (6.5 pH), temperature around 26 degrees Celsius,
kH 4-8. Rumoured to be an excellent snail eater and very pretty. (I've just
added two of those to my tank, but it's too soon to tell whether they will
really get stuck into the snails.)

Cheers,

Michi.

--