Old 25-02-2003, 12:51 PM
Pat Meadows

Default Garden plot planning?

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 19:06:00 -0800, "DH"
wrote:

I love just about every veggie (except radishes), so I want to plant quite a
variety, but I've never been good at placement and figuring out what to
plant early enough so that I can plant a second crop later after the early
crop expires.

Me too. I don't have much of a problem in this area now,
because I have a smallish area in which to garden, so the
choices are rather limited and it's easy to figure what goes
where - the tomatoes can only move from one end of the
garden to the other and the smaller stuff gets placed
accordingly.

I grow a lot of the smaller stuff in large containers now
too, this makes planning easier.

But in the past, with larger areas to garden, I've found
this difficult.

I know that some people use graph paper and a pencil. This
might be the best way to go, I don't know.

I have a lot of good gardening books, but nothing that really covers
planning out the layout well, except for a little book I have about
postage-stamp gardens

Have you ever read Mel Bartholomew's 'Square Foot
Gardening'? This might be helpful in this respect, it
certainly has the info on seed placement (how far away from
each other).

There's a website too: http://www.squarefootgardening.com

As to software, I've just purchased some garden
record-keeping software and discussed it here, you could
Google for the discussion on 'Garden record keeping
software'.

HOWEVER, this software doesn't plot out where you physically
put things. So I don't know if it would be all that useful
for you.

If I were looking for such software, I'd go to the freeware
and shareware sites and put 'garden' or 'gardening' in their
search box.

Two such sites a

http://www.tucows.com

http://www.freeware.com

There are other sites as well that can probably be found by
Googling on 'freeware' and 'shareware'.

I've also seen 'landscaping' software at stores such as
Staples and Office Max - they seem to be much more oriented
towards flower gardening. I don't know if any of them would
be useful for a vegetable gardener or not.

Pat
--
Pat Meadows
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY