Old 15-06-2010, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Palm Tree ID + little palm?

In article ,
says...
In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:
"mgunnill" wrote

1: I have a palm in the garden about 16 years old I think. I don't have
a name for the palm, could someone help with an ID?

1. Cordyline australis. (it's actually not a palm in the true sense)

2.Cordyline australis seedling.

Also known as a cabbage tree, for reasons not fully understood outside
the antipodes.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I think the natives used to eat the young leaf bases, which had to be
boiled to soften them at which time they smell similar to boiling
cabbage.

Note for the original poster - they are not true palms
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk