Old 16-06-2010, 07:44 AM posted to aus.gardens
[email protected] fisho696969@gmail.com is offline

Default Groundcovers

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 09:43:46 +1000, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:

What would be the hardiest groundcovers to use next to a sal****er
swimming pool in Sydney? It is a sunny position. I want a dense
groundcover to stop the weeds.

How far from the pool? Will it experience the patter of little feet? What
is the soil like? What have you tried there?

It is a new pool, I had 5 m of garden mix delivered so the soil will be very good. I
haven't tried anything yet, but the plants will be between 1 and 2 m from the pool so they
will probably get splashed.

There are things that will grow in salty soil but they are not likely to
take foot traffic and they are not that dense that they will exclude
everything else. Maybe somebody else can name a miracle plant that will do
the job but I would be thinking of astroturf or pavers.

I had one idea in case people tread on them, juniperus conferta, very spiky! :-)