Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
LeighMo

Default Are pond snails trouble for a planted tank?

Are these guys going to overrun my tank and start eating the plants?

IME, no. I have pond snails in my tank, and they don't eat the plants or
overrun the tank. They are great for algae control.

If they are laying that many eggs, you may be overfeeding the tank.

The best way to control snails is by controlling their food source. They won't
breed if they aren't well-fed, and usually, what they are eating is leftover
fish food.

If you don't want to reduce your feedings, you can keep the pond snail
population in check by getting other snails. Pomacea bridgesii, for example.
It's a large snail, and will out-compete the little pond snails for food. It's
much easier to control the breeding of this snail, because it takes two to
reproduce, and it lays its eggs above water (where they are easily spotted and
removed). When I added P. bridgesii to my tank, the pond snail population
crashed.

Leigh