Old 27-06-2010, 04:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default cutting back an arborvitae

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 03:09:34 +0000, Lisa Leng
wrote:

My newly purchased house has two large (15') arborvitae trees in front
of a small front porch. They are so large they block out any light in
the front windows, and porch. A landscaper recommended removing them
and replacing with some boxwood. The trees are healthy, and I hate to
cut them down (not to mention the expense of hiring a landscaping
company.) Is there any way I can cut these back significantly (almost
by half)? Would it be ok to trim back a few feet a year? Or can these
trees be "topped" all at once to look more like a shrub? What would be
the best tool to use? Is it too late in the season to do anything this
year?(I live in North Eastern U.S.) This is my first house so I'm
totally new to this. Thank you so much for your help!

All the pruned arborvitae I have seen do not look good at all,
sometimes get worse the following years. Your landscaper is giving
you very good advice.