Old 28-06-2010, 09:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Michael Bell Michael Bell is offline

Default Toxicity of soapy water and Vaseline?

In message
ps.com
aquachimp wrote:

On Jun 26, 7:07*pm, Michael Bell wrote:
In message
* * * * * Michael Bell wrote:

In message
ups.com
* * * * * aquachimp wrote:
On Jun 26, 8:09*am, Michael Bell wrote:
In message
ups.com
* * * * * aquachimp wrote:

On Jun 25, 1:43 pm, Michael Bell wrote:
In message
Charlie Pridham wrote:

In article ,
says...

[snip]

Budding is a new technique to me, and in one afternoon I have not got
it right.

I am beginning to run out of seedlings to practice on. But I can use
material from adult trees.

Molten wax is damned awkward to use. It keeps setting before I can use
it. Thinking around for other materials that are waterproof and
definitely not-toxic, I hit on the idea of Vaseline. It's certainly
waterproof, mechanical strength is not needed and I very much think
non-toxic. It goes on babie's bottoms!

Michael Bell

Got any rubber bands? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shield_budding

Search online for "Hellermann sleeves" first suggested to me on this
ng. Many suppliers sell them, including r s components, who I bought
from because I have an account with them, but there are many other
suppliers. The sleeves (RS Stock No 399-596 and similar) are available
in a wide range of colours and sizes, also the tool (RS Stock No
548-243) for putting them on with, very useful. The sleeves are very
sticky on the tool, they do sell a lube, and I wonder how toxic it
would be to green plants, but anyway I found that licking the prongs
of the tool to wet it allowed the sleeves to be slid off just nicely.

Michael Bell