Old 20-04-2003, 07:11 AM
Marvin Hlavac

Default Lifespan of plants

"LeighMo" wrote in message
How long do plants live? Trees have their lifespan but do our aquatic plants
have their days numbered as well? If we don't kill them by not providing good
living environment will they eventually die of natural causes anyway? How
about
an ordinary Amazon Sword? Will it live to be 100? Will it breathe its last
breath before the age of 50? Will it go to meet its maker at 20? Will it kick
the bucket before its teens?

I don't think they die, exactly. It's more like each individual part is
replaced -- the leaves, stems, roots, etc. -- so that it's a whole new plant
eventually. Obviously, this can't happen with trees, so they do have finite
lifespans. But for plants that reproduce vegetatively...I suspect that, like
amoebae, they are immortal.

Practically speaking, though, what often happens is the mother plant gets to

be
too big or unattractive, and is replaced by one of its own babies.

And another question: how old is your oldest plant?

I've had the anubias in my tank for about nine years. They'd be immense if

I'd
left them alone, but I divide them periodically, and give away plants.

The "peace lily" on my desk at work is at least 12 years old. The tag that
came with it said that houseplants should be replaced after a year or so,
because they become unattractive after awhile...but I'm too cheap. :-)

Leigh

Thanks very much for replies. Leigh that does make sense what you say. Plants
like swords most likely can live indefinitely. Trees (and perhaps our aquarium
stem plants as well) can only live thru their young ;-)

Dominic's was in a poetic mood ;-)

Erica, take good care of that palm. It has a history with you!

--
Marvin
hlavac (at) rogers (dot) com