Old 29-06-2010, 07:54 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Your opinion on these tomatoes please

In article ,
Tony wrote:

EVP MAN wrote:
I have heirloom and hybrid tomato plants this season. Now I realize the
season is still early but the hybrids seem to be out producing the
heirlooms at least three to one and in some cases more than that. This
is counting both green tomatoes as well as blossoms on the plants.
Unless the heirlooms come on like gang busters later in the season, the
hybrids will win hands down as far as production.
Rich from PA Zone 5-6

Yeah, pretty much true. People grow heirlooms for their distinctive and
wonderful flavor, and their "link to history" as it were. I think
that's great. But generally speaking, more modern hybrids developed for
the HOME gardener (not the reddish bocce balls sold in supermarkets)
will out-produce the heirlooms.

Tony M.

Hybrids keep you tied to the grid. With open pollinated varieties, you
don't have to buy seeds every year, and your plants acclimate to your
environment. Open pollinated tomatoes are bred for flavor. Hybrids are
usually bred for cosmetic reasons and shelf life, not flavor. Early Girl
seems to be an exception, and is favored by (IIRC) Alice Waters.
--
- Billy
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/6/2...al_crime_scene