Old 02-07-2010, 01:37 PM posted to aus.gardens
Lionel[_2_] Lionel[_2_] is offline

Default Elephant Garlic

On 02/07/10 01:34, echinosum wrote:
'Lionel[_2_ Wrote:
;892667']Does anyone know of somewhere that I can get elephant garlic at
reasonable price?

I've been searching for it, and it is either hugely expensive or it is
not available until next autum - seems I just missed out.

I want to plant it under my citrus trees to discourage aphids etc.

Thanks

Lionel.

Elephant garlic is actually a kind of leek, and rather less garlicky
that true garlic. Maybe you'd be better off growing normal garlic.

I'm aware of that but as I understand it it is easier to just leave
elephant garlic in the ground indefinitely. Certainly my parents did
this and it worked fantastically.

The problem with growing elephant garlic is that the heads themselves,
sold for eating, fetch a very high price, and you aren't going to pay
less for it if you buy it to plant it. So if you want to grow it, buy a
head when they are harvested in summer, and then sow it in the
autumn/winter.

What a bugger, I have to what until next year .

Thanks

Lionel.