Old 04-07-2010, 01:27 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Water Lillies

On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 13:24:02 EDT, Peter Pan wrote:

Ok I purchased some water lillies today, Im finally getting my Veggie
filter started. 1) the flower came packed in a clay like soil
I thought the idea of the veggie filter was for the roots to
capture fine particals. Where am I wrong? or was this not a good
plant to purchse for a veggie filter?

You've got the veggie filter idea correct, the plant is wrong. Lilies are
better IN the pond to shade the water. You can do the lily bare root (still
in basket w/big rocks), but it won't flower as well usually.

2) What plants do you recommend for the Veggie filter

Watercress is cheap and grows fast in moving water. You can buy or order
from most grocery stores. Iris is another, water hyacinths as Jim
mentioned.

3) How many plants do you suggest and also how long before I begin to
see signifcant results? I realize this is a subjective question but I
guess I'm asking for a ball park figure.

To give a ball park figure I'd have to see a pic. after it is planted or
know how big percentage wise surface area is in relation to pond and how
many fish and how big, # of plants. What other kind of filtration you have
and gph of flow.

Shot Gun from the hip? 2-4 weeks. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us