Old 05-07-2010, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David WE Roberts[_2_] David WE Roberts[_2_] is offline

Default Pond Surface Film

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
I've just installed a small prefabricated pond in my garden, no fish but a
few plants. Intention is just to attract wildlife and I saw a frog dive in
yesterday evening

Trouble is I am getting a greenish film on the surface, a net doesn't pick
up anything.

The pond gets full sun until early afternoon and hen light shade, it is
not directly overhung by trees.

Anyone any ideas as to the film and a possible remedy.

Time is a great healer :-)

When I built a pond (a long time ago) the books I read said that I should
expect it to be green and murky for a while until it established a balance.

After that it should be fine as long as no nitrates are added (which come in
via tap water, compost which is not specifically for pond plants, dead
leaves etc.).

As already advised, you also need green plants to provide some shade and to
remove the nitrates from the water.
The ones you have in already will no doubt fullfil this function once they
are established.

First season is likely to be variable but after that it should settle down.

HTH

Dave R

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder