Old 20-04-2003, 07:12 AM
Da' Fishboy

Default Question for experts - algae and freshwater shrimp

I had a group of Cories Sterbia work over tank full of Black Hair Algae...

They did a great job of cleaning out...

Earl
"LeighMo" wrote in message
I recently heard that some varieties of freshwater shrimp eat algae. Do

any
of them eat black hair algae ?

SAEs are the critters that are recommended for that kind of algae (BBA).

Shrimp do eat filamentous algae. Particularly Amano shrimp. Not sure how

good
a job they do on BBA. I've heard mixed reports. My ghost shrimp seem to

eat
it, but only if there's no better pickings to be had.

Snails might also be worth a shot.

In any case, don't expect algae-eating creatures to cure your algae

problem
overnight. Mostly, they eat young and tender algae, leaving the old, big,

ugly
stuff alone. What works best is to remove what algae you can (cutting off
infested leaves, if necessary). The SAEs (or whatever) will then prevent

new
algae from growing. Algae will disappear very slowly.

Leigh