Old 16-07-2010, 12:05 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
kathy[_3_] kathy[_3_] is offline

Default Turtle in pond

It's a red-eared slider.

I've kept turtles in my pond, 3,300 gallons.

I fed them turtle chow on a safe rock (where the
fish and dogs could not get it). They loved koi chow
and would get into a scrum of koi and goldfish to fight
with the fish. I'm sure it noshed on my plants but my pond
is fairly wild so who'd notice.
Turtle needs a safe place to bask in the sun - we
have an island.

My turtles did okay over winter in my pond.
I kept a hole open in the ice, just as we do for fish.

Our turtles would wander - if they got a chance, finding
a gap in the gate, someone said 'turtles have no pet loyalty'.

kathy :-)