Old 18-07-2010, 05:40 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
JB[_6_] JB[_6_] is offline

Default Fish losing pigmentation

On 7/18/2010 1:11 AM, Nik Simpson wrote:
Had a new pond built in the spring, and five of the fish that I put in
where black bug-eye (Chinese Moor?) goldfish. Over the course of several
months, two have lost pigmentation, one completely and one still has a
black tail, the other three are still jet black. Apart from the loss of
pigment they appear fine and have shown no obvious signs of distress.
Anybody know what's going on here, the water tests fine and I'm inclined
to rule out disease since the other three are fine.

I had this happen with a couple of Koi. I'd had them for three years and
the abruptly lost all their color over a period of a few weeks and
turned solid white. They're now 12 years old and doing well. The only
thing I ever found out was that "This happens." Never found out why.