Old 25-02-2003, 04:27 PM
animaux

Default Going bats! Bathouse questions....

On 24 Feb 2003 20:46:30 -0800, (Scheffler) wrote:

"Noctaire" wrote in message ...
Ok, I'd REALLY like to put up a bathouse in my backyard, but I'm not
thinking there's anywhere I can put it. Just how finicky are bats about the
positioning and location of the house?

James

Last year I put one up about 15 ft up the north side of a tall pine
tree. The bats used it heavily in spring and early summer - had a half
inch thick pile of droppings under it. Then I started finding dead
bats under it and all the rest left. Don't know what happened, but I
was concerned about rabies or West Nile virus, although heat could
have been a possibility also.

Bob

Bats like to be very warm. Having a bat house in direct southern exposure is
still recommended, even here in Texas. The bats like it to be about 104
degrees.