Old 23-07-2010, 12:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Question on how to install 4x4 pressure treated posts.........

EVP MAN wrote:
I need to install two pressure treated 4x4s in my yard that I plan to
hook a cable to as a dog run. This way he can safely chase rabbits
from my garden area. The posts are 10' long. My soil is mostly
clay. How deep should I dig the post holes for this length post?
Also, I plan to fill the holes with sacrete concrete mix. The bags
are 80 lb. each at the local hardware store. How many bags will I
need for each post? Any other tips or ideas about this installation
would be most helpful.

Thank You Rich from PA

I take it you will run a wire between the posts and the dog's lead will run
up and down the wire on a ring. Is that right?

I need more information.

So why are the posts 10' long? Why is this a starting point?
How high do you want to run the wire off the ground (often it would be on
the ground unless along a fence or wall)?
How big is the dog? (The bigger the dog the deeper the posts need to be
sunk)
How are you digging the holes? (The looser the hole the more concrete you
need)

David