Old 23-07-2010, 12:48 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Broccoli damage

PC wrote:
PC wrote:
On 7/20/2010 9:23 AM, David Hare-Scott wrote:
My broccoli is doing well except that some heads are damaged. Some
parts of the head are crushed and soggy, they have gone dark and
mushy. Any thoughts on what is doing this?

David
http://www.harvestwizard.com/2009/06...lems_trou.html

They didn't mention it.

thanks anyway

David

I thought this just about described it...
Drainage problem perhaps?
Leaves and head become pale green; leaves wilt; slimy rot develops in
stem, leaves, and head. Bacterial soft rot is caused by Erwinia
bacteria. Water-soaked spots appear on leaves and roots; spots enlarge
and turn dark and mushy. Black ooze develops in cracks in roots and
stems. Rot can not be cured. Collect and burn infected plants Promote
good drainage by adding aged compost and organic materials to planting
beds. Avoid over-head watering. Rotate crops.

That doesn't seem to be exactly it. The slimy spots on the heads sounds
right but not the rest of it. It has been wet here lately so some kind of
microbe that likes wet is very likely, I thought fungus but bacteria is
possible.

David