Old 23-07-2010, 03:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Question on how to install 4x4 pressure treated posts....(All)

EVP MAN wrote:
Yes, I will run a cable between the posts and attach the dogs lead to
the cable. The dog is small at about 25 lbs. I'm using 10' posts
because I'm 6' 3" tall and want to clear the cable with my head while
mowing lawn.

Then I would set them down the maximum ie about 3' 6" to give stability.

Our frost line is down around three feet here in my
area. I decided to set the posts in concrete because I figure
pressure treated lumber shrinks quite a bit when it dries out. This
way I can lift the posts out and have a 4" square in the concrete.
And if I ever need to replace the posts, I can just lift the old
ones out and set the new ones in. Figure it would save me the work
of digging new holes the second time around in the future.

You said they were pressure treated, not all treated timber is the same, you
need it to be up to the standard required for constant contact with the
soil. If it isn't they will rot off in a few years. I don't like your
chances of replacing the posts as you describe, if they rot it will be near
ground level so the bottom will probably break off and stay in the hole.

The amount of concrete you need depends on how you dig the hole. If you use
a crow bar and post hole digger (like a big pair of tongs) you can keep the
hole neat and not much bigger than the post. You may not even need concrete
then, you can often tamp the clay back with the butt end of the crow bar
until it is really firm if you take your time. If you use a spade the hole
will be much wider and require more concrete. Do your digging when the clay
is neither very wet nor very dry.

David