Old 29-07-2010, 12:49 PM posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Using PL-Premium (construction adhesive) to fill holes in tree trunks

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 00:26:22 -0400, Sum Guy wrote:

JimR wrote:

Using pruning paint is not a recommended procedure because it traps
moisture in the cavity and encourages rot, such as you found.

This was insect-induced rot.

What insect *induces* rot? All the wood eating critters I know
about show up after the wood is dead.

Moisture could not be trapped - this is a vertical surface we're talking
about - roughly a circle about 3" diameter.

Wood protected by oil-based coatings tends to weather better than left
untreated.

It's funny how pruning paint is somehow not good for exposed wood, yet
you see people applying coatings to their decks and other exposed wood
all the time.

Those decks and stuff are *dead* wood. Presumably you cut the branch
off on a live tree. The tree will bleed and heal the wound much
better without being insulted further by some foreign sealer.

I've also found that pruning paint is good when applied to the top
surface of horizontal limbs near the trunk that squirrels tend to tear
apart - dammage that most people don't see because it's over their
heads. The squirrels don't find the bark so tasty with the paint.

I prefer to apply lead directly to the squirrels. But I don't think
squirrels do any damage to hollows in trees

Jim