Old 29-07-2010, 03:00 PM posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair
Sum Guy[_2_] Sum Guy[_2_] is offline

Default Using PL-Premium (construction adhesive) to fill holes in treetrunks

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

This was insect-induced rot.

What insect *induces* rot?

By rot, I mean the development of cracks, fissures, cavities and holes
caused by the removal of wood caused by insect activity. I guess I used
the wrong term.

All the wood eating critters I know about show up after the
wood is dead.

When you cut a large limb off a tree, the inner wood that you expose
*is* dead. The only living part of the trunk is the bark.

Those decks and stuff are *dead* wood. Presumably you cut the
branch off on a live tree. The tree will bleed and heal the
wound much better without being insulted further by some
foreign sealer.

If the cut is large enough, it will expose dead wood, and that wood is
vulnerable to insect dammage and weather-related dammage (actual rot,
fungus, etc). This dammage may set in before the tree has enough time
to grow around and cover the exposed surface with new bark.