Old 30-07-2010, 02:26 AM posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Using PL-Premium (construction adhesive) to fill holes in tree trunks

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 19:27:30 -0400, Sum Guy wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Not the OP-- but here's why I want *my* silver maple. ...

But it also provides a few gallons of sweet maple syrup when the
spirit moves me to tap it.

Um - I didn't think that silver maples gave good syrup. That's why
sugar maples are called "sugar maples".

I have 2 sugar maples on the other side of my house. Probably about
the same age as my silver- about 2feet in diameter. [the silver is
3-4] I tapped them a couple years. They gave less sap and it was
not as sweet as the silver.

I've talked to others with the same experience. Sugar maples are
less prone to limb damage and don't have surface roots. But other
than that I don't know why sugarbushes don't use them more.

Jim
[BTW- I've never tapped them, but others have extolled the virtues of
white birch and Box Elder [aka Black Maple] sap.]