Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM

Default Plants to fish ratio/oxygen depletion in the AM's

Use DIY CO2.
This will save you a great deal of time messing with it.

It might, but I'm not prepared to take the risk that an exploding bottle of
gunk sprays over my livingroom, OR that I end up with gunk in my tank, from
something going wrong. Ta for the suggestion, but I'm NOT going the DIY
route.

Then get a gas tank system.
I never have had any issues with DIY except perhaps not getting enough
CO2 in there.
Use it for 10 years.
No bottle explosions. See the rigid bottle suggestion. These won't
collapse and will not allow any foam or yeast into the tank unless you
over fill the bottle.
But that would be your fault, not the DIY method's...........

Should, but aren't. I know they *should* - but my question was, in a VERY
heavily planted tank, there are both fish AND plants using oxygen during the
night. I'm obviously getting o2 saturation during the day, but I'm
wondering if the volume of plants is leading to depletion during the night.

The plants remove _very little_ O2 relative to the the fish.

I *have* surface circulation. When I drop food in, it gently swirls from
one side of the tank to the other.

This morning, I have moved the spray bar of the cannister filter to increase
this current slightly. We'll see how it goes.

It should help. Are you certain you have enough CO2 and circulation in
this tank? Test the CO2 at different times during the day(when the
lights come on and when they turn off etc), not just at one point.
Regards,
Tom Barr