Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
kush

Default Maracyn (erythromycin) and Blue-Green Algae

Maracyn Update: Today is day 5.

I've been dosing with 1-200 mg tablet daily. I expected to see the B-G
algae "flaking" off, but that doesn't seem to be happening unless the fish
are gobbling it all up (unlikely). But at least half the mass of nastiness
has somehow disappeared. There are still strongholds and redoubts in amongst
the shadows of the plants and rocks, particularly webbed between the strands
of monofilament where I have riccia tied to stones.

The tank is an unfiltered 20-gallon long with a water pump and CO2 injector
embedded under the gravel in the center of the tank, and 55-watt compact
fluorescent lighting. It's planted primarily with sag. subulata and riccia,
and is inhabited by two botias, six zebra danios, and the seven largest
tiger barbs in all christendom.

Because there is no filter, the tank has become very cloudy with some very
funky "swirling mists" effects around the water pump. I did a 50% water
change yesterday which cleared things up for a few hours. I tried to put a
few red ramshorn snails in to blitz the B-G but, as usual, the botias had
eaten them before I'd even left the room. I planted some hygro. corymbosa I
had pruned out of another tank but, as usual, the botias had dug them out
and they were floating at the top of the tank before I'd even left the room.
Perhaps the botias are my REAL problem.

So, all in all, I'm disappointed that things aren't moving along faster but
also hopeful as some improvement is visible.

kush

"You can't have everything - where would you put it?"

kush wrote in message
Hi, Robin. I just started using it in my 20-gallon yesterday, so if you

can
wait a few days, I'll let you know how it went. I'm using 1

tablet@200mg/20
gallon, or half the recommended dosage.

kush

Robin Pereira wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
Hello Everyone:

I have read the details posted at the Krib regarding the use of

erythromycin
to eradicate B-G Algae. There are differing opinions regarding the dose
required to do the job. Some say use the dosage as per the Maracyn

package
while others suggest one half the recommended dose. The Maracyn package

bought recommends 1 tablet(200mg)/10gallons of water to treat "Body

Fungus"
infections.

Has anyone on the list used Maracyn to eliminate B-G Algae and if so

what
dosage did you use?

Thanks in advance.

Robin P.