Old 05-08-2010, 01:18 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Phyllis and Jim Phyllis and Jim is offline

Default What to do with too many fish

Hi Nik,

We have mosquito fish as well. Seldom do fry get through, even with
lots of lilies and plants in the pond. With 20+ koi and goldfish in
our pond, it is a good thing they don't make it! We sometimes have a
few new ones...but seldom.

Our mosquito fish handle the winters easily...even 3/4 inch of ice.
Any winter diminution of numbers is quickly made up. They do, of
course also eat their own fry. We keep them in all of our water; berm
ponds, water fall pools and filter barrels. No skeeters.

Jim