Old 05-08-2010, 07:08 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Nik Simpson Nik Simpson is offline

Default What to do with too many fish

On 8/4/2010 7:02 PM, Joe wrote:

nik Simpson wrote:

Seems like the unofficial breeding program in my pond has been
successful this year with something like 6-8 young fish looking like
they'll reach maturity. If this goes on for another year or so I'll have
too many fish in the pond. I don't like the idea of just killing some of
them, though my cats might enjoy it ;-) So what do others do in this
situation?

Hi Nik,

Here in San Diego I have Gambusia (mosquito fish) in my pond. The county
gives them away to pond owners as part of their mosquito abatement program.
They eat anything, including the eggs from Koi spawn. Haven't had a birth in
five years.

I'm in N. Alabama, not aware of any program for mosquito fish and have
never seen mosquito lava in the pond, though I do see them in pools of
standing water, so I'm guessing my fish do a good job there. The pond
itself has lots of nooks and crannies that fry can escape into. The
offspring are Comet goldfish and Shibunkin. the count so far is up to
about ten that are in the 1" and larger range, so it's obviously a good
pond for breeding ;-)

I also get lots of tree frog spawn and tadpoles, so the large fish have
a target rich environment which may account for the fry surviving in
numbers.

--
Nik Simpson