Old 08-08-2010, 01:28 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default How to keep tadpoles out of pump?

Pat wrote:

I am new to pond-making and wondering how to exclude tadpoles, frog
eggs and fry from being sucked into a submersible pump. If it matters,
the pond is about 700 gallons and I haven't bought a pump yet. I'd
also like to know how strong of a pump I need. Any advice will be
greatly appreciated.

Eggs are usually fastened to something- plants, rocks, whatever.
Tadpoles and fry are another matter.

My Savio 'Water Master' is called a 'solids handling' pump. When it
dies I'll take it apart to see what the impeller looks like- but it
says it will handle up to 1 1/4" solids.

It is separated from the pond in a skimmer, behind a mesh net and a
fiber filter.

Yet the occasional tadpole or fish fry finds it way through and
through the pump, through 15' of pipe, through the filter on my
waterfall weir-- and into the top 'pond'.

In 2 years I've found dozens of survivors, and only one injured fish -
a 2" Rosy Red- in the upper pond. Unless these guys have salmon
blood, there is no way to get there except through the pump.

Jim