Old 10-08-2010, 12:32 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default How to keep tadpoles out of pump?

On Sat, 7 Aug 2010 22:45:14 EDT, Pat wrote:

I am new to pond-making and wondering how to exclude tadpoles, frog
eggs and fry from being sucked into a submersible pump. If it matters,
the pond is about 700 gallons and I haven't bought a pump yet. I'd
also like to know how strong of a pump I need. Any advice will be
greatly appreciated.

Hi Pat,

You'll need at least a 700 gph usually. Depends on where the output is
going, a fountain or waterfall, how high up does it have to pump and how
wide across is the waterfall and/or stream?

If the pump is in the pond you can enclose it in mesh baskets:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/koipond...s/set1/09s.jpg remove any foam in
front of impeller as it will quickly clog and you'll be pulling the pump
out constantly to clean it. Mesh baskets will usually keep out small fish
that are several days old, the rest and eggs will go thru, but they're not
usually hanging around the pump at that age.

My lily pond has a bottom drain and I had to put a big mesh basket over it
to keep even some of the larger fish from being sucked down and into my
filter. Most make the ride, but I would prefer they stay in the pond, thus
the mesh basket. I do find baby fish in the pre-filter, but I think that is
from eggs making the ride and not the little fry. HTHs and welcome to
ponding. ~ jan :-)

Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us