Old 11-08-2010, 07:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
EVP MAN EVP MAN is offline

Default No cantaloupes (musk mellon)

I'm in Pennsylvania zone 5-6. I planted Hale's Best cantaloupes this
year and averaged 5 melons per plant. The problem I'm having is the
fact that the fruit isn't very sweet. I don't know if it's something I
done wrong or if it's the melon I decided to grow. Next year I'll try
Honey Rock and Super Star which is a hybrid. My soil is clay amended
with cow manure and compost. In the fall, I mulch leaves and cover my
bed. Come spring I fork them into the soil along with a slow release
granular fertilizer about two weeks before setting out my plants.

Rich