Old 11-08-2010, 09:02 PM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default No cantaloupes (musk mellon)

On Aug 11, 11:14*am, (EVP MAN) wrote:
I'm in Pennsylvania zone 5-6. *I planted Hale's Best cantaloupes this
year and averaged 5 melons per plant. *The problem I'm having is the
fact that the fruit isn't very sweet. *I don't know if it's something I
done wrong or if it's the melon I decided to grow. *Next year I'll try
Honey Rock and Super Star which is a hybrid. *My soil is clay amended
with cow manure and compost. *In the fall, *I mulch leaves and cover my
bed. *Come spring I fork them into the soil along with a slow release
granular fertilizer about two weeks before setting out my plants.

Rich

This is to all. Lucky you have hot weather. Here, in So. Calif
coastal, we have had the weirdest of all summers -- cool and overcast.
So my cantaloupes and watermelons flower -- and then nothing. Yes,
they have adequate water and compost/worm castings. Last year, I
had GORGEOUS cantaloupes. What else could be factor, if not lack of
summer heat? Note: My beans are doing great -- both green and
yellow. It's just the damn melons. Also cucumbers were not stellar.
And the only tomatoes that are doing well are volunteers. The tomatoe
plants from Home Despot got tossed. A few new ones from a local
nursery are doing pretty well.