Old 12-08-2010, 02:53 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default What to do with too many fish

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 10:19:22 EDT, nik Simpson wrote:

Seems like the unofficial breeding program in my pond has been
successful this year with something like 6-8 young fish looking like
they'll reach maturity. If this goes on for another year or so I'll have
too many fish in the pond. I don't like the idea of just killing some of
them, though my cats might enjoy it ;-) So what do others do in this
situation?

So far in the 1000 gallon lily pond with the 9 adult wakin goldfish and 3
yearlings that I kept from last year's spawning, I have only seen 3 fry
make it. 2 of the fry went into the large mesh basket nursery, and the
other is free swimming. Pretty dismal breeding here, my fish apparently
like caviar way too well, even with me feeding them 2-3 times/day. I do
have 3 small fry in a pot that were transferred as eggs and 2 in a bowl on
the kitchen counter.

What I did with most of my 2 dozen fry from last year was give them away
when people purchased plants from me. I have 2 left... planning to take
them to the next meeting with the hope people will buy what plants I bring
and take the fish... or I'll donate them to the raffle. Even though we're a
koi & pond club, we have a lot of goldfish lovers in our group. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us