Old 12-08-2010, 10:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
EVP MAN EVP MAN is offline

Default No cantaloupes (musk mellon) (Lfisk)

I started my melons from seed under grow lights. They were 6 weeks old
when I planted them in the garden May 15. Picked my first mellon about
two weeks ago. They were a great color on the outside but a bit pale on
the inside. They just about fell off the vine into your hand when I
picked them up. Just not as sweet tasting as I expected them to be.
The vines were running wild and I did prune them back. Perhaps this was
my mistake. I read on the net that the more leaves on a mellon plant the
better as the leaves produce sugar for the fruit. Any ideas on this?

Rich