Old 17-08-2010, 02:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
The Cook The Cook is offline

Default Ten mistakes concerning tomatoes

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 10:43:27 GMT, Escargo wrote:

"Suzanne D." wrote in
:

"Escargo" wrote in message

Item 3 in the list though suggests 6 plants for a family of four!
I suppose for a family that size it may be enough for a few salads or
nibbles.
Our family is the same size but last year 22 outdoor plants(no
greenhouse here sadly) were hardly enough so this year we did 30.

Ha, that's like my family of six, who couldn't be satisfied with 60
tomato plants last year!
--S.

Thats a good thing, kids need vitamins and yours are obviously getting
them.
I think an early appetite for fruit and veg sets kids up to enjoy them for
life.
Do you preserve some of them? If so how, I am always looking out for
different tried and tested methods.
We are eating ours as fast as they ripen so next year we will find space
for even more.

Best regards
Sandra and Micky

Two of us here but with a couple of kids who show up and leave with
jars of food.

I usually plant at least 50 and hope for the best. One year I planted
100 and spent the month of August between the garden and the kitchen.
I can plain tomatoes, various pasta sauces, salsa, relishes. If it
was listed in a canning book I probably tried it. Also gave away a
lot.

This year blight has just about wiped out the tomato crop so I am
making things that we have run out of, primarily spaghetti and pizza
sauces. Besides they are quick to make and can.

As the local county extension agent says, "Copy Rotation."
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills