Old 18-08-2010, 01:28 PM
Sambo Sambo is offline
Registered User

Yes, Viburnum tinus smells like a skunks anal glad on heat mixed with dogshit! The smell is from the leaves I think. However, it's only really bad if it is damp or humid. It is a plant that has adapted to attract flies as pollenators so what else would you expect from the stinky beast?

V. tinus is still a great plant for bulk in tropical plantings and as a background but I wouldn't use it as a hedge, especially in urban areas as Viburnum beetle is just so rampant in the UK now, even in rural areas. Besides the beetle problem it will get gappy and leggy even with regular pruning, fertilizer and good soil.

The smell drives me crazy! Probably smells like fresh baked apple pie...to a dog!