Old 21-08-2010, 09:00 AM posted to aus.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default the lure of Coca Cola .....

"John Savage" wrote in message
On his "Vasili's Garden" tv gardening program last week (Ch. 31, tvs in
Sydney), Vasili toured the garden of an Italian migrant who was proud to
be no longer troubled by fruit fly. He had rigged up dozens of plastic
drink bottles hanging everywhere, mostly, it seemed, in pairs, and each
upright and without its cap and containing a few cm of Coca Cola plus a
tablespoonful of honey. He said he has fruit flies queuing up to dive in
and die, and they prefer this to his fruit trees. As I surmise, the Coke
must function as both lure and insecticide. There was no mention of ants
finding the hanging honey pots alluring; maybe they have better taste?

I knew there had to be a use for that stuff, besides for cleaning old
coins and demonstrating its spectacular reaction with Mentos mints.

I wonder how Pepsi compares? Or would things go better with Coca Cola?

Ah bugger! I really really like Vasili but can't see him. He seems to have
disappearred from the channels I can get. Must go some of his DVDs.

I wonder if we'll get the sodding Election tonight and have to miss out on
Gardening Australia. I'll be cross if they don't show it. I voted weeks
ago so it's done and dusted as far as I'm concerned and I don't give a hoot
who we get since we'll still get screwed.