Old 23-08-2010, 06:32 AM posted to aus.gardens
SG1[_3_] SG1[_3_] is offline

Default the lure of Coca Cola .....

"0tterbot" wrote in message
nd.com...
"John Savage" wrote in message
On his "Vasili's Garden" tv gardening program last week (Ch. 31, tvs in
Sydney), Vasili toured the garden of an Italian migrant who was proud to
be no longer troubled by fruit fly. He had rigged up dozens of plastic
drink bottles hanging everywhere, mostly, it seemed, in pairs, and each
upright and without its cap and containing a few cm of Coca Cola plus a
tablespoonful of honey. He said he has fruit flies queuing up to dive in
and die, and they prefer this to his fruit trees. As I surmise, the Coke
must function as both lure and insecticide.

i'd assume the same principle as any fly trap - they can't find their way
out again, become exhausted & die without having been able to breed.

There was no mention of ants
finding the hanging honey pots alluring; maybe they have better taste?

not everyone has squads of ants.

I knew there had to be a use for that stuff, besides for cleaning old
coins and demonstrating its spectacular reaction with Mentos mints.

I wonder how Pepsi compares? Or would things go better with Coca Cola?

i don't drink either, but at the end of the day, coke IS better!

I am a Max man myself. Tried CocaCola once, took me 2+ hours to drink 1/2 a
can. So I guess that I can only use the non legal coke. But the thought of
having a hollow tube up my nose is making sure I don't use. I will stick to
legal stuff.

kylie