Old 24-08-2010, 05:42 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgentracer View Post
Can anyone help me?

I am looking for a simple user friendly guide to growing some roses from seeds of the plants I already have in my garden

Is this possible for someone as new to gardening as I am?

only had a greenhouse since July this year and so far Ive produced a fair amount of growth
Forgive me if I'm asking silly questions. Why do you want to grow roses from seed - for fun, to produce new varieties, or just to get more roses? If you just want to propagate more roses, taking cuttings is easier and quicker.

If the rose seeds you're planning to grow are from hybrid roses, or from a species rose growing near enough to another species rose for pollinating insects to visit both, then the roses you grow from seed won't necessarily be like the parent. But this may be what you're after!

It certainly should be possible - dog roses, Rosa rugosa and Rosa glauca all self seed readily.