Old 24-08-2010, 07:44 PM posted to aus.gardens
gardenlen[_2_] gardenlen[_2_] is offline

Default the lure of Coca Cola .....

g'day terry,

wow some big judgement been made here, we have ben trapping male flies
for a decade now and until recent times it was a very effective tool,
but now not so in 2 weekly period the season before last (when we got
hit the hardest ever) we trapped about 900 male flies giver or take,
yet our total crop ot tomato's, pawpaw's and star fruit were decimated
not a single piece of fruit could used. we run our male traps all year
as the males can be around at odd seasons.

we make traps to allow air flow and attract the most flies with the
wick it is very rare for a fly to not succumb to the wick.

and yes netting does work i don't understand how it wouldn't many
gardeners resort to it, and we did last year with our tom's and star
fruit and w got good fruit to eat little or no fly damage.

our traps closely ressemble thos dak pot typs thing fruit growers use
they are very open as they need to be for teh male fly we find the
bottle captures all dead insects so we can monitor fly levels that
way.

now if this coke thing works the female trap will be made so as if a
fly gets in it won't get out as much as we possibly can make it.

now as we feel some other gardener somewhere has a fruit tree that
attracts the f/f and they then aren't doing husbandry to collect and
desroy that damaged fruit, or pick the fruit long before it ripens or
what ever action needs to be taken, then we don't know who they are
they could be anywhere up to maybe 4k away.

so we have to deal with this issue on sight, if i find something that
works i will pass it on, with no comments let the user beware so to
speak.

hope tha clears up any misgivings you may have? and should you find an
effective female cntrol mechanism please let all gardeners know.

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 00:20:07 +0000 (UTC), terryc
wrote:

snipped
--

Matthew 25:13 KJV
"Watch therefore, for ye know neither

Mark 13:33 "Take ye heed, watch and pray:
for ye know not when the time is".

len

With peace and brightest of blessings,

"Be Content With What You Have And