Old 26-08-2010, 07:56 PM posted to aus.gardens
gardenlen[_2_] gardenlen[_2_] is offline

Default the lure of Coca Cola .....

g'day john,

in the past the female trap solutions have worked but not here in this
area, hwy i got no idea. we have some recipes on our remedies page,
ans as yet i have not heard back from anyone who has had success with
trapping females. many gardeners up her share our issues. didn't trap
a single female out of 3 or 4 different recipe traps last season.

there is a natural lure substance than needs to be sprayed around it
does warn not to get it on the fuit and it is a bee killer. so many
won'tuse it, it doesn't work as a female trap so far as others have
told me. and it is too expensive o buy and try also, but the bee bit
is enough for me.

trappng males has ben effective in the past, i don't know whether
males or even females are one hit wonders, would be interestig to
know, but may not help with management, i feel they all just merrily
keep mating on all season by the looks of our current issue here.

we run 6 male traps all year here about every 2 to 3 months through
summer we replace one on a rotatinal basis, they continue to work for
nearly a year. teh male bottles don't need to be trap botles and keep
the fly in once he is inside as it is the aroma of the wick that
attracts him and once he lands on the wick he gets a dose of
insecticide or he maybe even gets a wiff of the insecticide, so though
a male may exit teh bottle there is nothing to say he still will not
succumb. our trap vey similar to what i have seen on fruit farms. you
could just hand a wick out in the open it would still work only then
you can't monitor fly levels.

with the male traps they are away from the garden so there is no
conflict of arom's and if there was an effective female trap then i
can see it would be not so good to hang it near the fruiting plant as
the aroma of ripening fruit may over ride the aroma of he bottle and
then he effectiveness is diminited.

if you research their mating habits let us know, if anyone finds an
effective female trap ingredient there are many gardeners out there
who would like to hear about nothing more tedious than netting tom's
and capsicums whatever.

the best wick is the one tha looks like a cotton wool roll tight
wadded the one in the plastic holder not so good.

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 13:37:53 +0000 (UTC), John Savage
wrote:
snipped
--

Matthew 25:13 KJV
"Watch therefore, for ye know neither

Mark 13:33 "Take ye heed, watch and pray:
for ye know not when the time is".

len

With peace and brightest of blessings,

"Be Content With What You Have And