Old 02-09-2010, 03:16 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Daniel B. Martin Daniel B. Martin is offline

Default Tomato hornworm population explosion

Hornworms have always been a minor problem in our garden, but not this
year! In the past three days we "harvested" more than 60 of these
hungry caterpillars. We found only two which were "decorated" with
parasitic braconid wasp cocoons, and left them alone.

In recent years there has always been an insect pest which caused
substantial damage to our tomatoes and/or eggplants. Three years ago
it was flea beetles. Two years ago it was Colorado Potato beetles.
Last year it was striped blister beetles. This year it is hornworms.
What will it be next year? A plague of locusts?

Daniel B. Martin