Old 05-09-2010, 01:12 AM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

Default How to get rid of yellow jacket bee's nest ??

On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 18:54:19 -0400, Frank
wrote:

On 9/4/2010 6:16 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 17:38:29 -0400,
wrote:

On 9/4/2010 12:16 PM, James wrote:
I live in North Florida. There is a yellow jacket bee hive in a big clump
of pampass grass (sawgrass), that I can't get rid of. I have used the
long-shot Black Flag sprays, using a total of (3 ) 18 oz cans at one
time, but I cannot get rid of the nest. The bees come right back to it.

I used the long-shot spray method because of the danger of getting too
close, but even that was risky, as I had to fight off many bees with the
spray, as they were coming after me.

My wife got stung 8 times while she was working near this spot, and that
is how we first learned of it...

Does anyone have any recommendations on how I can get rid of this nest ?
The pampas grass is quite large, and I cannot see the actual nest, but
dozens and dozens of bees continue to fly in and out of the plant, so I know
it is in there somewhere.

Please help !!!

Thank you.

James

One good shot of wasp/hornet spray in the nest opening should do it.
I've heard it is best to spray at night but I've done it many times in
the day as sprayed yellow jackets are disoriented and don't get you.

They're not all home during the day, so even if you don't get stung you didn't
do half the job.

Good point. I've seen some coming back the next day even but eventually
they all disappear.

No, they just move their nest. ...likely somewhere else you don't want it.