Old 05-09-2010, 03:16 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default How to get rid of yellow jacket bee's nest ??

On 9/4/2010 8:13 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 19:03:20 -0400, wrote:

James wrote:
I live in North Florida. There is a yellow jacket bee hive in a big clump
of pampass grass (sawgrass), that I can't get rid of. I have used the
long-shot Black Flag sprays, using a total of (3 ) 18 oz cans at one
time, but I cannot get rid of the nest. The bees come right back to it.

I used the long-shot spray method because of the danger of getting too
close, but even that was risky, as I had to fight off many bees with the
spray, as they were coming after me.

My wife got stung 8 times while she was working near this spot, and that
is how we first learned of it...

Does anyone have any recommendations on how I can get rid of this nest ?
The pampas grass is quite large, and I cannot see the actual nest, but
dozens and dozens of bees continue to fly in and out of the plant, so I know
it is in there somewhere.

Please help !!!

Thank you.

James

Wow, you must have them really ****ed off. I usually leave them alone
and they leave me alone. I have a nest under the eave of my porch. I
don't mind them.

Why does this not surprise anyone?

I'm mostly a live-and-let-live kind of guy too, and had no problems
weeding the garden yesterday at the same time the buzzing things were
harvesting nectar. And I have no problems if they live out back past the
point where I bother to mow, or in the graveyard behind me, or in the
drainage lot down the street etc. But I just came back in from spraying
a nest in the usual spot in the front yard, where I need to mow
tomorrow. (Not sure why they always pick That Spot year after year,
unless they like how the moles pre-dig the hole for them.) I've
accidentally run the mower over 'bee fountains' 3-4 times in the 5 years
I've been here- even had them fly under my shirt and sting me. That is
annoying enough that I feel no guilt about nuking nests that are on MY
turf. All they gotta do is move a couple hundred feet in any direction,
and they will get no grief from me.

Note that if you have anyone in the house with a history of anaphylactic
(sp?) shock after bee stings, all bets are off. Epi pens aren't always
enough.

--
aem sends...

--