Old 05-09-2010, 03:55 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair
LSMFT LSMFT is offline

Default How to get rid of yellow jacket bee's nest ??

aemeijers wrote:
On 9/4/2010 8:13 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 19:03:20 -0400, wrote:

James wrote:
I live in North Florida. There is a yellow jacket bee hive in a big
clump
of pampass grass (sawgrass), that I can't get rid of. I have used the
long-shot Black Flag sprays, using a total of (3 ) 18 oz cans at one
time, but I cannot get rid of the nest. The bees come right back to it.

I used the long-shot spray method because of the danger of getting too
close, but even that was risky, as I had to fight off many bees with
the
spray, as they were coming after me.

My wife got stung 8 times while she was working near this spot, and
that
is how we first learned of it...

Does anyone have any recommendations on how I can get rid of this
nest ?
The pampas grass is quite large, and I cannot see the actual nest, but
dozens and dozens of bees continue to fly in and out of the plant,
so I know
it is in there somewhere.

Please help !!!

Thank you.

James

Wow, you must have them really ****ed off. I usually leave them alone
and they leave me alone. I have a nest under the eave of my porch. I
don't mind them.

Why does this not surprise anyone?

I'm mostly a live-and-let-live kind of guy too, and had no problems
weeding the garden yesterday at the same time the buzzing things were
harvesting nectar. And I have no problems if they live out back past the
point where I bother to mow, or in the graveyard behind me, or in the
drainage lot down the street etc. But I just came back in from spraying
a nest in the usual spot in the front yard, where I need to mow
tomorrow. (Not sure why they always pick That Spot year after year,
unless they like how the moles pre-dig the hole for them.) I've
accidentally run the mower over 'bee fountains' 3-4 times in the 5 years
I've been here- even had them fly under my shirt and sting me. That is
annoying enough that I feel no guilt about nuking nests that are on MY
turf. All they gotta do is move a couple hundred feet in any direction,
and they will get no grief from me.

Note that if you have anyone in the house with a history of anaphylactic
(sp?) shock after bee stings, all bets are off. Epi pens aren't always
enough.

I even have some in the garage. Two kinds, hornets and those black with
white stripes. Funniest thing. No matter if they are trapped inside or
outside, they patiently wait for me to open the garage door every
morning so they can tend their nests. If I leave during the day and
close the door, there are there when open it to go in or out. They fly
by me, sometimes stop and look for a minute then move on. Every herd of
such a thing? I'm amazed.

--
LSMFT

I look outside this morning and everything was in 3D!