Old 05-09-2010, 04:46 AM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair
lil abner lil abner is offline

Default How to get rid of yellow jacket bee's nest ??

On 9/4/2010 12:16 PM, James wrote:
I live in North Florida. There is a yellow jacket bee hive in a big clump
of pampass grass (sawgrass), that I can't get rid of. I have used the
long-shot Black Flag sprays, using a total of (3 ) 18 oz cans at one
time, but I cannot get rid of the nest. The bees come right back to it.

I used the long-shot spray method because of the danger of getting too
close, but even that was risky, as I had to fight off many bees with the
spray, as they were coming after me.

My wife got stung 8 times while she was working near this spot, and that
is how we first learned of it...

Does anyone have any recommendations on how I can get rid of this nest ?
The pampas grass is quite large, and I cannot see the actual nest, but
dozens and dozens of bees continue to fly in and out of the plant, so I know
it is in there somewhere.

Please help !!!

Thank you.

James

I've tried the sprays and other methods. The sprays all get soaked into
the ground before they get to the nest, here anyway. Spraying with or
trying to fill their hole(s) with water doesn't generally get rid of
them either.
Pouring, quite a bit of, gasoline or kerosene down the hole near or
after dark and ingniting it from a safe distance works. Don't wait a
half hour after pouing the gas though. The stuff will woomph all around
you. You might just get singed.