Old 20-04-2003, 06:13 AM
kush

Default Ghost Shrimp

Hi, Leigh. My LFS finally got some ghosts in and I was considering getting
some. I've never had shrimp before. I'm using snails, ottos, plecos, and
escaped feeder guppies for algae control now. What do you think? Are
ghosts a worthy addition, or redundant? How many would you put in a 75
gallon?

kush

"You can't have everything - where would you put it?"

LeighMo wrote in message
Anybody got Ghost Shrimp in their tank? Are they good for general clean

up
or don't even bother?

They are very good for general cleanup, and unlike Dinky, I had no trouble
keeping large clown loaches with them. The loaches left them alone.

Ghost shrimp can be predatory, so they aren't suited for a fry tank.
Generally, they won't bother healthy adult fish (even small ones, like

neon
tetras).

If it's an algae-eater you want, Amano shrimp are better, but ghost shrimp

are
good all-around scavengers, eating algae, fish food, dead fish, baby

snails,
etc.

They breed in the tank quite readily (and the babies are awfully cute,

with
their big eyes). They do need a little iodine in the water. (Just a drop

of
Kent Marine Iodine with each water change is enough.) And if your tank is
cycling, hold off. Shrimp are very sensitive to nitrite.

Leigh