Old 20-04-2003, 06:13 AM
Bob Alston

Default Do adult SAEs eat algae?

Scott - Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am sure they are true SAEs.
bought a douzen mail order. Initially when young, I was not real
sure. but now they are larger, and armed with the excellent article
on the different SAE and similar fish, I am confident they are the
real thing.

Bob
wrote in message . com...
In article ,
(Bob Alston) wrote:

Do adult SAEs really eat algae? I have heard statements that the
adults do not.

At the AGA conference, one person suggested to just not feed the fish
in the tank for several days and they would resume eating algae.

I have about a dozen adult SAEs, about 3 - 3-1/2 inches that I raised
from about 1/2 inch. They seem to always hang out when the food
comes, "standing on their tails". Not sure how much algae they eat.

What is your experience?

Bob

I have one that is about 3.5-4" long and he definitely eats algae. That
doesn't mean that he won't touch other food though. Regardless of my
regular feedings for my other fish, he'll still pick at the algae. Are
you sure you have true SAE's?

Scott