Old 19-09-2010, 11:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Willi Willi is offline

Default Overwintering mini roses?

"Christine" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Hi there,

I have some mini roses in 12" terra cotta pots. They used to be indoor
roses, but this summer they became outdoor roses. I didn't have room
in the garden to plant them in the ground, hence why they are in pots.
They did quite well, but I don't know how to overwinter them, or if I
should bring them back inside. I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, so
our winters can get quite cold.

The only other roses I have are wild roses, and I never have to worry
about them!

Thanks,
Christine

They will not survive, if you keep them outside in pots. I tried it once,
they got
too much frost to their roots. Luckily I had propagated them before, so it
wasn't
a total loss. If the pots are too big for inside, you could plant them
outside just for
winter and put them into pots again in late spring.

G Willi