Old 20-09-2010, 09:06 PM
lannerman lannerman is offline
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
Perhaps next door's is being watered and fed more -they like water and fertiliser. Perhaps it is isn't exactly the same species/variety? For example, I grow C. subulatus because it is the hardiest of the red-flowered bottlebrushes, (though the yellow/green flowered C. viridiflorus is the hardiest of the lot).
Heres another thought, look closely at your neighbours plant and then at your own, could it be that he has talked to someone in the 'know' and been advised to trim to just behind the seedheads so that then, all the energy that would have been used to make (unwanted) seed goes into growth and maybe yours is smothered with these strings of hard seedheads, sapping your plant of energy??? I always advise that these seed heads are removed after flowering so the plant is not 'wasting' large ammounts of energy on producing what are unwanted seeds!!! It makes a big difference to the growth rate???
best wishes, Lannerman