Old 26-09-2010, 01:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default How to preserve some pumpkins for a month until Halloween

hrbob said:

We have 5 nice Halloween-sized carving pumpkins in our garden, but the
associated vines are just about dried up and I don't want the pumpkins
to rot on the ground or in our garage, at least not until after
Halloween. What is the best way to preserve them for a month until we
carve them up. Chicago area, so no frost yet.

Don't refrigerate them. Don't leave them out where they will be subject
to temperatures under 40 degree F (and unheated garage).

Wash them in a mild bleach solution, dry them off and set them in the
coolest part of your house. Keep them separated so air can circulate
around them. They should last several months even at room temperature,
more than long enough to get to Halloween.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored